History

Among the oldest traditions of the Institute, the School of Music began when the Glee Club was formed in 1906. Now, in addition to its unparalleled dedication to traditional performing arts, the researchers and students in the department are transforming the way people listen to, compose, and perform music.

1906 The Men's Glee Club is formed.
1908 A group of fourteen students, led by Robert "Biddy" Bidez, a textile major from Mobile, Alabama, forms the Georgia Tech Band. Also, the Men's Glee Club is formed.
1912 M.A. "Mike" Greenblatt becomes Tech's first professional bandleader. Greenblatt made the first arrangement and score of "Ramblin' Wreck" as a handwritten manuscript. The song was sung to the Scottish tune, "Son of a Gambolier". Billy Walthall, a member of the first four-year graduating class, wrote the lyrics.
1914  Frank Roman becomes band director.
1918 The Georgia Tech Band Club is chartered.
1919 Frank Roman adapts and copyrights "Ramblin' Wreck". This musical version continues to be popular today.
1923 Kappa Kappa Psi, Iota Chapter, a national honorary band fraternity, is founded.
1925 The Columbia Gramophone Company puts a recording of Tech songs made by the Georgia Tech Band and Men's Glee Club on sale. Georgia Tech becomes the first college in the South to have its songs recorded.
1929 Major A. J. Garing, a member of the John Phillip Sousa Band, becomes band director.
1931 Mr. Granath's "Alma Mater" and Frank Roman's "Up with the White and Gold" are copyrighted.
1946 Ben Logan Sisk is appointed band director.
1949-51 The Men's Glee Club performs at Army and Air Force bases throughout Europe.
1954 Trombonist Teresa Thomas and flutist Paula Stevenson, two of the nine female students registered at Georgia Tech, become the first female members of the band.
1955 The Men's Glee Club travels to Greenland, Bermuda, Newfoundland, and Europe.
1957 Freshman Glee Club is formed and practices at the YMCA.
1963-74 The Music Department, under the leadership of Ben Logan Sisk, is created under Tech's General College with the intention of bringing institutional support to the band and the glee club. For the first time, academic credit is given for participation in the band. The first permanent home of the Band is established at the old Church of God building on the corner of Hemphill and Ferst Streets.
1969 Jerry Black becomes director of the Men's Glee Club.
1973 Epsilon Theta chapter of Tau Beta Sigma, a national honorary band sorority, is founded to complement the Iota chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi.
1974 Tech Womens' Chorale formed.
1975 Edward Bridges is appointed band director and Don Eubands becomes assistant director. The Men's Glee Club and Womens' Chorale merge to form the Chorale.
1976 The Music Department is assigned to the College of Sciences & Liberal Studies. Ken Durham is appointed assistant director. Gregory Colson becomes assistant professor and director of Choral Activities.
1977 The Georgia Tech Jazz Ensemble is founded under the direction of Douglas Richards.
1978 Gregory Colson becomes head of the Music Department and associate professor.
1979 Ron Mendola is appointed director of the Jazz Ensemble.
1983 James "Bucky" Johnson hired as Tech's first full-time Director of Bands.
1985 A new course, Introduction to Synthesized Computer Music, is added to curriculum. The Wind Ensemble is created and later evolves into the Symphonic Band.
1987 The Georgia Tech Orchestra forms as a string ensemble coached by Ron Mendola.
1988 A music history course is added to curriculum. Carlisle Dent is hired as assistant director.
1989 The Georgia Tech Orchestra combines with Georgia State's string, woodwind, and brass program to create a University Orchestra at GSU.
1991 The Music Department relocates to the College of Architecture, providing opportunities for collaboration with artists and media groups.
1992 The dean of the College of Architecture appoints Bucky Johnson chair of Music Department; Andrea Strauss is hired to assist with the band program and teach music theory courses.
1993 The Electrical Engineering Study Abroad Program at Oxford, England, begins to offer a music history course. The Georgia Tech Chamber Orchestra is founded with twelve string players under the direction of Ron Mendola. The Music Department hires first its composer-in-residence, James Oliverio.
1995 Certificate in Music is established. Chris Moore is hired as assistant band director and Percussion Ensemble director. Music Technology, allies with Music Ensembles, plays a significant role at the Inauguration of President Clough.
1996 The DrumsTechs Electronic Percussion Ensemble is formed. Orchestra adds woodwinds, brass, and percussion.
1997 William "Doc" Caldwell is hired as associate professor and director of Choral Activities. Men's Glee Club reorganized.
1998 Music Minor is created. Chamber Choir is founded. Clark Ashton, sculptor-in-residence for the College of Architecture and the School of Mechanical Engineering, and James Oliverio collaborate on the premiere performance of "Dreamers, then, Remembering, Open the Sky" for the annual Arts in the Village Festival.
2000 Peter Ciaschini (violin), Sam Skelton (reeds), and Max Kleinsteuber (clarinet and piano) join the Music Department as orchestra, jazz, and music minor adjunct faculty.
2001 The Marching and Symphonic Bands performed in Dublin, Ireland, during the St. Patrick's Day Celebration. The Symphonic Band's concert was in collaboration with the Dublin Institute of Technology. Music Recording and Mixing, Music and Sound Design, and the Electronic Percussion Studio/Ensemble courses are added.
2002 Bucky Johnson (Department Chair, Director of Bands) retires.  Frank Clark is hired as Director of the Music Department.  Andrea Strauss is named Director of Bands.  Chris Moore becomes Director of Athletic Bands.  William Bishop joins the faculty as Assistant Director of Bands.
2002 Couch Building undergoes $650,000 renovation
2003 William "Doc" Caldwell retires.  Dr. Jerry Ulrich joins the faculty as Director of Choral Activities.  Gil Weinberg is hired as assistant professor and director of Music Technology.
2006 The Men's Glee Club celebrates its centennial with a sold-out concert in Atlanta's Spivey Hall.
2008 Georgia Tech Band celebrates centennial year with a performance in the famous Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
2008 Center for Music Technology Launched
2009 Department of Music becomes the School of Music